1959 - Historical Record - Anonymous
825th AC&W Squadron
for the period ending
30 September 1959
1 Unit and Location
825th AC&W Squadron, Kamloops, BC, Canada
2 Name and grade of Commander
John H. Farrar, Major
3 Chain of Command (Superior Echelons)
825th AC&W Squadron, Kamloops, BC, Canada
25th Air Division (Defense), McChord Air Force Base, Washington
Western Air Defense Force, Hamilton Air Force Base, California
Air Defense Command, Ent Air Force Base, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Headquarters, United States Air Force, Washington 25, DC
4 Subordinate Units (Down to and including squadrons)
5 Mission (Give authority and brief statement of primary mission)
25th Air Division Manual direction center with added responsibility of consolidating and forwarding Air Defense information from 917th, 918th and 919th Squadron to 823rd ACWRON. Authority: Western NORAD Region.
7 Equipment (Give official nomenclature and quantity of mission-type equipment)
AN/FPS-3A (1), AN/FPS-6 (1)
On 3 July 1959 one of the most impressive change of Command Ceremonies ever held at an Air Force Station was witnessed by Col. Anthony E. Gromak, the 25th ADIV Dir of Pers, members of his staff, Canadian dignitaries and USAF dependents. Major John H. Farrar assumed command of this squadron from Major Ralph F. Gerdes, the man who built the 825th. Major Gerdes was presented with the Air Force Commendation Medal for his performance at the 825th and Major Farrar received a similar award for his service as commander of the 635th AC&W Squadron at McChord AFB Washington. Both presentations were made by Col. Gromak.
An international flavor was added to the ceremony with the playing of Oh Canada and then the Star Spangled Banner prior to the review. The Canadian colors were carried by a Royal Canadian Army enlisted man from the Raleigh Ordnance Depot.
On 22 July this squadron participated in its first full scale Tactical Evaluation. The evaluation was very successful and the squadron received a rating of excellent.
During the reporting period the operations section took an active part in eight Air Defense Exercises all of which were extremely successful from this squadrons view point. During these exercises and at other times the section attempted forty-six profile sorties, all being completed successfully.
The Systems Training Program was very active during this period with a total of thirty Systems Training Missions being run. One of these STMs was Desk Top II, and fifteen were Division wide problems. Five required full battle staff and six partial battle staff.
The ACTER program was installed but operating in an unsatisfactory manner due to its newness. Some improvement has been noted and the full value of this ECM training feature will soon be realized.
The annual change-over of personnel occurred during this period. Four of the five new airmen assigned had never worked on the AN/FPS-3A Radar Set. This lack of experience on our prime radar set created a heavy burden on the section.
A shortage of adequate hand tools still hampered the efficient performance of maintenance.
Mr. Robert Cyphers of Sylvania Electronic Company arrived to install the SM-146/GPS-T2A (ACTER). The installation proceeded in a routine manner and was completed on 5 August 1959. All available personnel were then given training on the equipment, and Mr. Cyphers departed.
On 15 September 1959, two AN/UPA-35 Universal Indicators and one OA-175 Indicator arrived from the 823rd ACWRON, Geiger AFB, Washington. These indicators were loaned to this squadron in order to meet interim operational requirements.
On 21 September 1959 an additional AN/UPA-35 Universal Indicator was received from 637th ACWRON, Othello, Washington.
On 28 September 1959 work was begun on recabling all equipment in the Operations Room. This project is expected to take up to thirty (30) days for completion and should be completed without seriously disrupting the operation of the equipment. The end result will be tailored cables and a separation of video and power cables which will simplify trouble shooting cable troubles, prevent any inter-action between the two types of cables and provide maximum flexibility for movement of indicators.
(Wire Maintenance) During this reporting period this section installed and put into operation the following leased lines: 652H to Suitcase; 226A and 226B to Turnpike. A Canadian Aviation Electronics IRAN team arrived and completed an IRAN on the inside plant telephone system during the period 15 September and 22 September 1959.
A monitoring system was installed between the receivers and transmitters. A remoting system was installed from operations to the receivers and transmitters and the C-806 remoting boxes were replaced by a local produced type which were more compact and therefore more applicable to this station. On 9 September a new reference system was put into effect, this system did away with channels and numbers and began the use of designators for the radio circuits. During this reporting period this section experienced two (2) RNFPs, both of these were for parts for the AN/GRC-27 type equipment.
During this reporting period the Communications Section lost three (3) men and gained six (6) men. Prior to arrival of these men the Communications Center had been undermanned to the extent that Operations had to man this position during one shift in each twenty-four (24) hour period.
Due to the rotation of MSGT. Donald C. Splitter Sr., SSGT. Gordon P. Mellom was recently assigned to the squadron and assumed duty as NCOIC of this section.
In addition to the arrival of Major Farrar, Captain Jerry J Mooneyham was assigned in September. He is to be utilized as a director on the Combat Crew in Operations and as the Cash Purchasing Officer for the squadron. MSGT. Harvey Pace arrived to replace SMSGT Frank A Gates as First Sergeant. Captain Frederick Corning Jr rotated to the Zone of the Interior.
This squadron did well in the field of NCO promotions receiving two new MSGTs and a TSGT in a frozen field. Other promotions for the quarter included three to A/1C, four to A/2C and two to A/3C.
The in commission rate for M-series vehicles took a short incline with the arrival of the Western Flyer bus. The new bus more adequately handles all shift changes for the operations area thus alleviating the need for 6x6 trucks on the difficult hill top road.