The airfield at North Luffenham is located on high ground between the villages of Edith Weston and North Luffenham, five miles south-west of Stamford. This area was found suitable for an airfield and construction commenced in 1939. The RAF made extensive use of the airfield during World War II.
In August, 1949 the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) was formed by a group of nations concerned with the threat of communism expanding into Western Europe. As a founding member Canada agreed to provide, along with other military units, an Air Force contribution which would be tasked with the role of air defence.
1 Air Division was formed, with the headquarters to be based in Metz, France. The considerable engineering and industrial capacity of Canada was pressed into action to provide the aircraft needed for the mission. With a sense of urgency, the RCAF started to train the aircrew and technical personnel. In November 1951, 410 was named as the first squadron of the Air Division. It was transported on the RCN aircraft carrier HMCS Magnificent to North Luffenham in England, where it would be joined in 1952 by 439 and 441 Squadrons. 1 Wing operated from North Luffenham until 1 April 1955, when the Wing was moved to Marville, France.
|Return to Top of Page|
Updated: December 23, 2003