2451 Aircraft Control and Warning Unit
2451 Aircraft Control & Warning Unit was reformed, this time at Windsor, Ontario. The Squadron was reborn on 4 January 1954 and was designated as 2451 Aircraft Control & Warning Squadron (Auxiliary) Windsor. It should be noted that by this date, the term "Reserve" had long been replaced by Auxiliary. Unlike the majority of the other Auxiliary AC&W Units and Squadrons, 2451 AC&WU reported directly to the Air Officer Commanding Air Defence Command rather than going through a Reserve Group or other Command. Logistics and other support was however, provided by RCAF Station London.
A small number of 2451 personnel received initial training as Fighter Control Operators at Mount Hope, Ontario - the home of 2424 AC&WU, Hamilton, Ontario - during the summer of 1956. Narrative reports on the Pinetree Line web site confirm that 2451 AC&W Squadron was active at RCAF Station Foymount, ON during the years 1956 to 1959 inclusive. Evidence also verifies a deployment to RCAF Station Beaverbank NS in 1960 and RCAF Station Falconbridge in 1960.
As was the case with all the other Auxiliary AC&W Squadrons, 2451 AC&WU was disbanded on 31 May 1961 due to the onset of SAGE.
|Return to Top of Page|
This page is located at
Updated: January 19, 2005