2453 Aircraft Control and Warning Unit
Trois Rivieres, Quebec
2453 Aircraft Control & Warning Unit (Reserve) RCAF was formed at Trois Rivieres, Quebec on 1 September 1951. Like their other Reserve AC&W counterparts, 2453 AC&WU was tasked to assist the Regular air force AC&W Squadrons by providing "personnel trained in all aspects of aircraft control and warning operations". The unit reported to RCAF Reserve Group Montreal. This particular unit was first quartered at 865 Hart in an old stone building dating back to 1797 owned by the Reverend Sisters of Marie-Reparatrice. The squadron later moved to 873 Hart. Their AMES-11 radar was operated on nearby properties.
In common with all other Reserve units, 2453 AC&WU was re-designated as 2453 AC&WU (Auxiliary) as on 1 November 1951 and on 1 December 1953 they became 2453 Aircraft Control & Warning Squadron (Auxiliary) RCAF. Some of the Regular AC&W Squadrons that 2453 regularly paraded at and worked with included Parent, Mont Apica, Lac St. Denis, and on occasion, North Bay. On 1 October 1958, the unit reported directly to Air Defence Command rather than through Training Command. Narrative reports on the Pinetree Line web site confirm that 2453 AC&W Squadron was active at RCAF Station St. Sylvestre, QC during the years 1956 to 1958 inclusive, RCAF Station Mont Apica in 1953 and 1954, as well as RCAF Station Parent between 1957 and 1959.
The SAGE network brought an end to all of the Auxiliary AC&W Squadrons as there was no longer a requirement to have Auxiliary personnel trained to manually back-up their Regular air force counterparts. Therefore, on 31 August 1961, 2453 Aircraft Control & Warning Squadron (Auxiliary) was disbanded.
|Return to Top of Page|
This page is located at
Updated: October 30, 2004