2403 Aircraft Control and Warning Unit
2403 Aircraft Control and Warning Unit (Auxiliary) Calgary was formed on 1 June 1952 and never received the designator Reserve as was common to most of the other Auxiliary AC&W units. All of the Auxiliary squadrons and units, no matter what their type, had been renamed from Reserve to Auxiliary on 1 November 1951. The personnel and equipment, the AMES-11C radar, to form 2403 AC&WU had come from the Auxiliary and Regular personnel of the Radar Section of No. 403 (FB) Squadron (Auxiliary) which was also located at Calgary. The unit reported to Air Defence Command through Tactical Air Group which later became Tactical Air Command. On 16 November 1953, the unit began to report directly to ADC.
Narrative reports on the Pinetree Line web site confirm that 2403 AC&W Squadron was active at RCAF Station Foymount, ON in 1953.
On 1 December 1953, the unit became 2403 AC&W Squadron (Auxiliary). One of the Regular AC&W Squadrons, that 2403 AC&W Squadron supported, was 32 AC&W at Foymount. Unit personnel were also deployed to such exotic locations as Watson Lake in the Yukon and RCAF Station Sea Island in Vancouver. 243 AC&W Squadron was disbanded on 1 June 1961.
|Return to Top of Page|
This page is located at
Updated: October 13, 2004