2442 Aircraft Control and Warning Unit
Vancouver, British Columbia
2442 Aircraft Control & Warning & Unit (Reserve) Vancouver was formed on 1 April 1950 to train personnel in radar operations for the new radar stations then under construction as well as to train these same personnel in all aspects of aircraft control and warning. 2442 AC&WU reported to No. 5 Air Division at Vancouver.
On 1 November 1951, 2442 AC&WU was re-designated as 2442 Aircraft Control & Warning Unit (Auxiliary), and on 1 December 1953, the unit became a squadron.
Some of the Regular AC&W Squadrons that unit personnel were deployed and employed at included Holberg, Baldy Highes, Kamloops and Blaine Washington. The unit personnel worked hand in hand with their Regular counterparts from both the RCAF and USAF. Narrative reports on the Pinetree Line web site confirm that 2442 AC&W Squadron was active at Kamloops Air Station, Kamloops BC in 1960 and RCAF Station Lac St. Denis in 1952.
2442 AC&W Squadron was yet another victim of the SAGE system. Consequently, on 31 March 1961, the Squadron was disbanded.
|Return to Top of Page|
Updated: September 25, 2004